- make sure you have the 'build-essential' package installed:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
- Download your version of virtual box (probably i386 unless you have a 64 bit processor) and install it
After download, right click the package and install with the GDeb package manager
- Add your user to the vboxusers group:
sudo adduser $USER vboxusers
- Follow the Setup VirtualBox USB Support section here for USB support
I did both of the things recommended. Note that the last step should read:
sudo /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh start
- Install Guest Addons and turn on seamless mode
after firing up the virtual OS, go to the 'Devices' window on the top and 'Install Guest Additions'
- Set up shared directories following this.